China`s Jiang rested at home during death rumours
Beijing: Former Chinese president Jiang Zemin was resting at home last week as rumours swirled that he had died, prompting at least two media outlets to report he had in fact passed away, a Hong Kong newspaper reported on Wednesday.
Citing sources who had "been briefed about Jiang`s health", the South China Morning Post said the 84-year-old had been admitted to a Beijing military hospital last month with a fever.
But he was discharged before the July 01 celebrations of the 90th anniversary of the Communist Party, the report said. His non-appearance at that event had begun the speculation about his demise, as many other former leaders did show up.
"The sources said doctors had advised Jiang to stay at home because it would be too physically demanding for him to sit through the main ceremony in the Great Hall of the People, which lasted nearly two hours," the paper said.
"The sources say the exact cause of Jiang`s illness is unclear but it was less serious than a heart attack or stroke."
Sources said last week that Jiang was in intensive care in Beijing at the No 301 military hospital after suffering a heart attack.
In the opaque world of Chinese politics, the health of a leader is fodder for rumours about how the balance of power is shifting at the highest levels of the government.
Current President Hu Jintao retires from office from late next year in a sweeping leadership overhaul, and the rumours about Jiang`s health underscore the uncertainties around this.
A Hong Kong television station and a Japanese newspaper reported that he had died. Chinese state media then came out with a brief statement, denying those reports as "pure rumour".
Beijing has said nothing else about Jiang`s health.
Reports about sensitive topics in the highest echelons of power in China frequently circulate in the overseas Chinese language media, especially in freewheeling Hong Kong and Taiwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!