China`s leaders meet, show unity before transition
Beijing: China`s leaders displayed unity among the top ranks in two days of meetings with ministerial and provincial-level officials ahead of a once-a-decade political transition this fall that has been overshadowed by a scandal.
Vice President Xi Jinping, who is on track to take over from President Hu Jintao in the fall`s party congress, indicated in a closing speech today that there would be continuity in government policy after the handover.
The transition has been marred by a scandal involving Bo Xilai, a former political high-flier who was ousted earlier this year and is being investigated for unspecified wrongdoing.
Bo was once considered a leading candidate for the party`s all-powerful Politburo Standing Committee when seven new members are expected to be picked at the party congress.
Bo`s downfall provided a rare public glimpse of infighting among China`s rulers, who normally settle differences behind closed doors.
The Chinese government has been taking pains to ensure a smooth leadership transition and said earlier this month that preparations for the 18th party congress were under way and going well.
Xi echoed Hu`s call yesterday to build on "socialism with Chinese characteristics" a term that describes China`s model of development, which for three decades has favoured economic liberalisation but not aggressive political reform and urged officials to study Hu`s speech.
"In contemporary China, only socialism with Chinese characteristics can develop China, benefit people and revitalize the nation," Xi said.
Yesterday, Hu opened the meeting with a speech that appeared to be a bid to shape the way his legacy will be remembered by the participants, who included all the members of the Politburo Standing Committee, decision-making`s inner sanctum.
Hu said his signature "scientific development" doctrine, which calls for helping the poorest Chinese and spending more on health care and education, has provided strong theoretical guidance for China`s development. He said that over the past decade, despite sudden changes on the international front, China has made good use of important strategic opportunities.
He urged officials to "unite all forces that can be united."
During the congress, the party`s leading members will install a new generation of leaders. China is run by a collective leadership, and many of the other seats in the Politburo Standing Committee are undecided, analysts and party insiders say.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi