`China’s passport issue raises tension in region`
Washington: The United States has conveyed its concerns to China over a map printed in the new Chinese passports which is causing "tensions and anxiety" among its neighbouring countries, including India.
"We are joining the chorus of countries who are urging the Chinese to reconsider the political signal that this appears to send," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Kurt Campbell, in his pre-scheduled meeting with Chinese officials, conveyed America`s concerns to them that such a move by China has increased tension in the region.
"They (China`s neighbouring countries) have obviously been very clear publicly about where they stand, and we`ve been talking to them in Capitals, but I don`t think in terms of asking us to do anything with the Chinese, I don`t think so. But obviously, we have concerns if they have concerns," Nuland said.
She said that the United States concerns about the map which is causing tension and anxiety between and among the states in the South China Sea.
"We do intend to raise this with the Chinese in terms of it not being helpful to the environment. We all seek to resolve these issues," Nuland told reporters a day earlier.
"I think we`ll make clear that this is not helpful to what we all want, which is an environment where the countries involved in this can settle it," she said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP