`China’s passport issue raises tension in region`
Washington: The United States has conveyed its concerns to China over a map printed in the new Chinese passports which is causing "tensions and anxiety" among its neighbouring countries, including India.
"We are joining the chorus of countries who are urging the Chinese to reconsider the political signal that this appears to send," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Kurt Campbell, in his pre-scheduled meeting with Chinese officials, conveyed America`s concerns to them that such a move by China has increased tension in the region.
"They (China`s neighbouring countries) have obviously been very clear publicly about where they stand, and we`ve been talking to them in Capitals, but I don`t think in terms of asking us to do anything with the Chinese, I don`t think so. But obviously, we have concerns if they have concerns," Nuland said.
She said that the United States concerns about the map which is causing tension and anxiety between and among the states in the South China Sea.
"We do intend to raise this with the Chinese in terms of it not being helpful to the environment. We all seek to resolve these issues," Nuland told reporters a day earlier.
"I think we`ll make clear that this is not helpful to what we all want, which is an environment where the countries involved in this can settle it," she said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people