China’s PM to attend UN climate summit
Beijing: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao will attend the global climate change summit in Copenhagen next month, the Foreign Ministry announced on Thursday.
"Premier Wen Jiabao will attend the 15th conference of signatories to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change," ministry spokesman Qin Gang told reporters, giving no details on Wen`s itinerary.
Dozens of world leaders are set to gather for the UN-sponsored talks in the Danish capital from December 7-18 to seek a successor to the Kyoto Protocol on limiting the greenhouse gases blamed for climate change.
The White House said yesterday that US President Barack Obama would attend the climate change conference on December 9 en route to collect his Nobel Peace Prize in the Norwegian capital Oslo.
China and the United States are the world`s number one and two sources of greenhouse gases and are considered critical to any progress at Copenhagen.
The White House said Obama would at the summit offer to cut US greenhouse gas emissions by 17 percent from 2005 levels by 2020.
Chinese President Hu Jintao pledged in September to curb emissions as a percentage of economic growth by a "notable margin" but gave no firm figure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray