China’s PM to attend UN climate summit
Beijing: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao will attend the global climate change summit in Copenhagen next month, the Foreign Ministry announced on Thursday.
"Premier Wen Jiabao will attend the 15th conference of signatories to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change," ministry spokesman Qin Gang told reporters, giving no details on Wen`s itinerary.
Dozens of world leaders are set to gather for the UN-sponsored talks in the Danish capital from December 7-18 to seek a successor to the Kyoto Protocol on limiting the greenhouse gases blamed for climate change.
The White House said yesterday that US President Barack Obama would attend the climate change conference on December 9 en route to collect his Nobel Peace Prize in the Norwegian capital Oslo.
China and the United States are the world`s number one and two sources of greenhouse gases and are considered critical to any progress at Copenhagen.
The White House said Obama would at the summit offer to cut US greenhouse gas emissions by 17 percent from 2005 levels by 2020.
Chinese President Hu Jintao pledged in September to curb emissions as a percentage of economic growth by a "notable margin" but gave no firm figure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand