China`s President visits key southern naval base
Beijing: Chinese President Xi Jinping has visited a key naval base in an island province in the disputed South China Sea in his latest move advertising his close ties to the military.
Xi reviewed vessels and troops on Thursday before boarding an ultra-modern amphibious ship and submarine. Dressed in military-style shirt and pants, he chatted with sailors, officers and fliers and dined on board the vessel.
The visit to Sanya in the island province of Hainan was Xi`s first to a military installation since assuming the presidency last month, along with the leadership of the government commission overseeing the 2.3 million-member People`s Liberation Army.
China`s territorial claims in the South China Sea overlap with Vietnam, the Philippines and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch