China`s President visits key southern naval base
Beijing: Chinese President Xi Jinping has visited a key naval base in an island province in the disputed South China Sea in his latest move advertising his close ties to the military.
Xi reviewed vessels and troops on Thursday before boarding an ultra-modern amphibious ship and submarine. Dressed in military-style shirt and pants, he chatted with sailors, officers and fliers and dined on board the vessel.
The visit to Sanya in the island province of Hainan was Xi`s first to a military installation since assuming the presidency last month, along with the leadership of the government commission overseeing the 2.3 million-member People`s Liberation Army.
China`s territorial claims in the South China Sea overlap with Vietnam, the Philippines and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred