China`s swine flu death toll rises to 737
Beijing: The death toll from swine flu in
China has shot up to at least 737 with 27 more fatalities last
week, the government said on Wednesday.
A total of 27 Chinese died of the A/H1N1 influenza last
week, bringing the death toll of the disease on the Chinese
mainland over 730 people, the Health Ministry said here in its
According to the ministry`s weekly report, the country
confirmed 1,556 cases of the flu from January 11 to 17. Among
them, 348 have been treated in hospital.
From January 4 to 10, a total of 2,173 cases were
reported, including 51 deaths, Xinhua news agency reported.
The ministry warned that the A/H1N1 flu would continue to
spread in the country this year.
Risks of mass infection of the influenza might increase
due to the upcoming Spring Festival, or Chinese Lunar New
Year, in February when millions of Chinese people, mostly
migrant workers and students, would travel back home for
family reunions, the ministry said.
The ministry urged local health authorities to
strengthen monitoring and reporting of the A/H1N1 influenza,
while making sound efforts to handle other possible public
According to the latest report, the disease had killed
at least 737 people by January 17. As of Tuesday, more than
64.7 million Chinese people had been inoculated with the
A/H1N1 flu vaccine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress