China`s TT legend to head Communist party`s news portal
Beijing: China`s Table tennis legend
Deng Yaping has been made head of the influential news
internet search engine launched by the ruling Communist
Party`s official newspaper, the People`s Daily.
Deng, 37, the former world and Olympic table tennis
champion who later got a Doctorate in Economics from Cambridge
University has been nominated to serve as President of goso.
cn, a news search engine launched by People`s Daily in
July. She has also been made the Deputy Secretary-General
of People`s Daily, official media here reported.
According to Beijing News, People`s Daily made an
internal announcement about Deng`s appointments last week and
is waiting for feedback to make it official.
"Deng is not a layperson. She received a doctorate in
economics from Cambridge University. Her fighting spirit as an
athlete and the experience she acquired working on the
Olympics will, undoubtedly, bring a new perspective to the
roles," Gong Yuguo, vice-president of goso.cn said.
Her appointment attracted media attention as it was
rare that high profile jobs that too party`s official organ
were given to persons other than hardcore cadre of the party.
If confirmed, the new positions, at the department
level in China`s bureaucratic hierarchy, will be a further
step in Deng`s political career, state run China Daily said.
Deng currently has been appointed as deputy secretary
of the Beijing Municipal Committee of the Communist Youth
League of China last year.
After taking to table tennis at the age of five,
Deng went on to earn a reputation as one of the world`s
greatest women`s players in the history of the game.
In a sporting career spanning two decades, Deng won
more titles than any other paddler. At the time of her
retirement from the sport in 1997, she had four Olympic gold
medals and 18 world championship titles to her credit.
She reigned as world No 1 from 1990 to 1997 and was
voted China`s female athlete of the century. In 2003, she
entered the International Table Tennis Federation Hall of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!