China`s Xi challenges Obama on telecoms spying report
The Hague: China`s President Xi Jinping questioned his US counterpart Barack Obama about reports that Washington had secretly tapped Chinese telecoms giant Huawei for years, a top security aide said on Monday.
"President Xi did raise that recent report in the context of their discussions on cyber-security," Ben Rhodes, Obama`s deputy national security adviser, told a press briefing.
Obama "made clear" to Xi that "the United States does not engage in espionage to gain commercial advantage," Rhodes said after the two leaders met on the sidelines of a major summit on nuclear security in The Hague.
The New York Times and Germany`s Der Spiegel said that the NSA had accessed Huawei`s email archive, communications between top company officials, and even the secret source code of some of its products.
At an official press briefing in Beijing earlier today, a foreign ministry spokesman said China was "seriously concerned" about the reports, which were based on documents provided by fugitive NSA contractor Edward Snowden.
Spokesman Hong Lei said: "We ask America to give a clear explanation and stop such behaviour."
Beijing itself has repeatedly been accused of large-scale cyber-espionage, which it vehemently denies.
The Chinese reprimand came after a top Huawei official similarly denounced the NSA.
Rhodes said that both the US and China "engage in intelligence activities on matters of national security".
"But there`s a clear distinction in our view between intelligence activities that have a national security purpose and intelligence activities that have a commercial purpose," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know