China`s Xi Jinping assumes new role overseeing military reform
Beijing: Chinese President Xi Jinping has taken on a new role overseeing a group in charge of deepening military reform, state media said on Saturday, adding to the list of new bodies Xi is taking charge of in his rapid consolidation of power.
Xi is already head of the military in his role as chairman of the powerful Central Military Commission.
Official news agency Xinhua said Xi had chaired the first meeting of the new leading group for deepening reform on national defense and the military, in the first mention of the group by state media.
Xi has already taken charge of similar bodies overseeing economic reform and internet security, besides running the new national security commission.
During the military meeting, Xi "stressed the country`s military reform should be guided by the objective of building a strong army", Xinhua said.
Xi`s speech, full of turgid communist phrases, gave no specifics of how China will modernize its military.
China this month announced its biggest rise in military spending in three years, a strong signal that Beijing is not about to back away from its growing assertiveness in Asia, especially in disputed waters.
The government said it would increase the defense budget by 12.2 percent this year to 808.23 billion yuan, as China seeks to develop more high-tech weapons and to beef up coastal and air defenses.
The increase follows a nearly unbroken run of double-digit hikes in the Chinese defense budget, second only to the United States in size, for the past two decades.
The 2014 defense budget is Xi`s first since becoming president last year, and the spending hike appears to reflect his desire to build what he calls a strong, rejuvenated China.
Xi also recently urged China`s military leaders to speed efforts to get the country`s sole aircraft carrier combat-ready.
Aside from the carrier, China is developing a range of high-tech weaponry, from stealth fighters to systems to shoot down satellites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing