China`s Xi meets veteran Taiwan politician: Xinhua
Beijing: China`s President Xi Jinping met longtime Taiwanese politician James Soong in Beijing on Wednesday, state media said, the latest step in incrementally improving ties in recent years.
China`s official news agency Xinhua described Xi as the general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, and Soong as chairman of Taiwan`s People First Party, suggesting that the two met in their party rather than official capacities.
The meeting took place at the Great Hall of the People in the heart of the capital.
Beijing regards Taiwan as a province awaiting reunification, by force if necessary, although the two sides have been governed separately since the end of a civil war in 1949.
Relations have thawed since the Kuomintang`s Ma Ying-jeou became president of Taiwan in 2008 pledging to strengthen trade and tourism links. Ma was re-elected in 2012.
In a symbolic yet historic move in February the two sides held their first government-to-government talks in 65 years.
During the four-day visit Taipei`s Wang Yu-chi, who oversees the island`s China policy, met with his Beijing counterpart Zhang Zhijun in the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing.
But increased cross-Strait interaction has generated concern in Taiwan, which saw intense student-led demonstrations in recent weeks against a controversial services trade deal.
Soong, a two-time presidential candidate, previously held senior posts in the Kuomintang. He met the then Chinese leader Hu Jintao in 2005.
In the 2012 polls, in which he took 2.8 percent of the vote, Soong pledged to become Taiwan`s first president to visit China if elected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened