Chinese actress falls victim to major telecom fraud
Beijing: Popular Chinese actress Tang Wei of `Lust, Caution` fame fell victim to a telecom fraud in Shanghai and lost nearly USD 35,000, police said today.
Tang was shooting in a movie and television base in the eastern China city when she answered a call yesterday. She was persuaded to go to a local bank and wire 210,000 yuan (USD 34,699) to a fraud suspect, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
It was not immediately clear why she chose to transfer that much money.
Police in the city`s Songjiang District received a report from Tang.
A case has been registered and probe is underway.
Tang shot to fame in Oscar-winning director Ang Lee`s 2007 spy thriller `Lust, Caution`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- No confirmation on meeting with Manohar Parrikar on OROP: Ex-servicemen
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends