Chinese ambassador criticises Japan for `following` navy
Tokyo: Chinese Ambassador to Japan Cheng
Yonghua criticised Japan for `following` Chinese navy vessels
engaged in military exercises on the high seas after Chinese
vessel-borne helicopters approached Japanese destroyers.
"Japanese (Self-Defense Forces`) ships and patrol planes
followed (Chinese vessels) for quite a long time...I think
such a thing would be a betrayal of mutual trust " the
ambassador told a press conference in Tokyo, speaking in
The ambassador also said that China`s naval drills in
waters off Japan are conducted "in accordance with
international rules" and his country is working to boost
transparency regarding its military buildup by releasing a
defense white paper and through other means.
Tokyo has lodged a protest through diplomatic channels
over what it sees as `dangerous` approaches by Chinese
vessel-borne helicopters toward Japanese destroyers, which
were deployed for surveillance of Chinese vessels.
The incidents took place on April 8 and April 21, when
the vessels were sailing in the East China Sea.
While China has explained to Japan that the approaches
were a "necessary defense measure" in response to Japanese
surveillance activities, Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada said
Friday that he was "not convinced" by the explanation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...