`Chinese Army behind cyberattacks on US firms`
Beijing: The Chinese army is behind a series of cyberattacks on US companies and institutions, according to a study by a US computer security company.
A 60-page report released Tuesday by Mandiant says that a Shanghai-based group of hackers designated by the company as APT-1 "is likely government-sponsored and one of the most persistent of China`s cyber threat actors".
APT-1 activities appear to coincide with those of People`s Liberation Army Unit 61398, whose headquarters are in the Pudong district of Shanghai, Mandiant said.
Though the company has been unable to directly trace APT-1 hackers to the Unit 61398 building, it believes there can be no other explanation for why so many attacks are launched from the same, relatively small area.
The attacks have been on the rise for two years, according to Mandiant, adding that cyber-strikes on least 20 sectors have been identified, from military contractors to chemical plants and including telecommunications companies.
"Hacking attacks are transnational and anonymous. Determining their origins are extremely difficult. We don`t know how the evidence in this so-called report can be tenable," a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said Tuesday.
"Arbitrary criticism based on rudimentary data is irresponsible, unprofessional and not helpful in resolving the issue," Hong Lei said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA