Chinese Army tells soldiers to re-cook leftovers
Beijing: Unfinished rice should be re-cooked into fried rice with eggs and leftover vegetables should be turned into pickles. These are some of the latest direction to Chinese soldiers as part of an anti-waste campaign.
The new measures have asked soldiers to feed on their leftovers and keep away from fancy food during official banquets, reported Xinhua.
The 10 "new measures" issued this week by the General Logistics Department of the Chinese People`s Liberation Army, instruct personnel to develop civilized and frugal diet habits, and make better use of leftovers and food materials.
Unfinished rice and other dishes should be re-cooked into fried rice with eggs and fried steamed bread, and leftover vegetables should be made into various pickles and appetizers, said the measures.
They ask military kitchens to work out a healthy, standard food menu, and make the best of every ingredient.
The movement echoes Chinese leader Xi Jinping`s repeated call for practising thrifty lifestyles and fighting extravagance.
The army has huge saving potential and is a key to implementing China`s current anti-extravagance spirit, according to a General Logistics Department statement.
In 2011, China spent about $93 billion on its armed forces, including on feeding its 2.3 million soldiers.
In 2012, the country`s national defence budget rose to more than $106 billion, an 11.2 percent increase year on year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh