Chinese Army tells soldiers to re-cook leftovers
Beijing: Unfinished rice should be re-cooked into fried rice with eggs and leftover vegetables should be turned into pickles. These are some of the latest direction to Chinese soldiers as part of an anti-waste campaign.
The new measures have asked soldiers to feed on their leftovers and keep away from fancy food during official banquets, reported Xinhua.
The 10 "new measures" issued this week by the General Logistics Department of the Chinese People`s Liberation Army, instruct personnel to develop civilized and frugal diet habits, and make better use of leftovers and food materials.
Unfinished rice and other dishes should be re-cooked into fried rice with eggs and fried steamed bread, and leftover vegetables should be made into various pickles and appetizers, said the measures.
They ask military kitchens to work out a healthy, standard food menu, and make the best of every ingredient.
The movement echoes Chinese leader Xi Jinping`s repeated call for practising thrifty lifestyles and fighting extravagance.
The army has huge saving potential and is a key to implementing China`s current anti-extravagance spirit, according to a General Logistics Department statement.
In 2011, China spent about $93 billion on its armed forces, including on feeding its 2.3 million soldiers.
In 2012, the country`s national defence budget rose to more than $106 billion, an 11.2 percent increase year on year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!