Chinese Army to dismantle four dikes to save town
Beijing: As floods in China continue to
create havoc, officials in an eastern province have ordered
soldiers to partially dismantle four small dikes to allow
flood waters to swamp farmland instead of spilling out of a
dam and threatening a town with a population of 100,000.
Some 400 hectares of farmland near the larger West Dam
in Huaining County in Anhui Province will be "sacrificed," Liu
Feiyue, head of the Huaining government, was quoted by the
official Xinhua news agency, as saying.
Liu said continuous rain raised the water level at the
West Dam 1.36 meters above the warning line Tuesday afternoon,
close to the dam`s bursting point.
Floods are taking heavy toll as so far 107 people were
killed and 57 missing in different provinces.
The dam sits on the 14.4-kilometre-long Nitanggou
River that runs through Shipai Township, the former seat of
the Huaining County government.
"Shipai Township is densely populated. If the dike
bursts, the consequences would be disastrous," said Liu.
"There are about 100,000 residents and 20,010 hectares
of farmland in Shipai."
Authorities said about 1,000 people who reside near
the river have been relocated.
Anhui is among the regions along the Yangtze River
worst-hit by the storms that began to lash central and
southern China July 8.
The continuous downpours in the province have resulted
in the deaths of at least two people and disrupted the lives
of more than four million.
The rains have caused the collapse of more than 5,100
houses and damaged 17,700 others.
They have also caused economic losses of more than 1.8 billion yuan (USD 265.5 million), according to the provincial disaster relief office.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!