Chinese artist Ai Weiwei says house arrest over
Beijing: Chinese artist Ai Weiwei said on Monday he was no longer under house arrest, after police confined him to his home for three days to stop him from attending an event at his Shanghai studio set for demolition.
Ai, 53, is one of China`s most famous and controversial artists, who currently had an exhibition at London`s Tate Modern. He also is an outspoken critic of the country`s Communist rulers.
"My house arrest was supposed to last until midnight last night. In fact, the police left at about 11:00 pm," Ai said.
The action against Ai comes amid a widespread crackdown on dissidents, lawyers and professors after jailed writer Liu Xiaobo was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last month.
While the artist was not allowed to leave his home over the weekend, others including reporters were able to visit him.
Ai had planned a feast for supporters at his Shanghai studio on Sunday as an ironic celebration of a decision by authorities to demolish the building -- despite having originally asked him to build it.
Supporters said on Twitter that hundreds had shown up at the studio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?