Chinese blogger ``scared`` after appealing to Obama
Washington: A Chinese blogger aged nearly 20 has attracted the regime attention for appealing to President Barack Obama to help save China`s environment.
On May 07, the blogger, who goes by the initials B.Y., posted an online petition on the White House website ‘We the People’, a free forum that promises any petition to receive 100,000 signatures in 30 days will qualify for a White House response.
According to ABC News, the petition asked for support against the state-owned corporation PetroChina`s plans to build a new chemical plant.
The plant, located 25 miles outside the capital city of Chengdu, in Sichuan Province, would produce 10 million tons of oil and 800,000 tons of ethylene per year.
Local residents have expressed concern that the future plant`s location is dangerously close to a seismic fault line and once production begins it will exacerbate air and water pollution.
B.Y.`s petition has until now received just 2,100 signatures. But before solicitations for support could be widely circulated online in China, B.Y. claims a security agent asked her to delete the petition.
In an interview with the South Morning China Post, an independent newspaper published in Hong Kong, B.Y. said an agent tracked her down using ‘registration information on `Weibo’ and invited her to ‘tea’, an euphemism for a police interrogation, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part V
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- This novel genetic method could lead to vaccine for life-threatening cancer!
- Heatwave continues to sweep several parts of country; Odisha records highest maximum temperature of 46.3 degrees Celsius
- BJP denies Sonia Gandhi's character assassination charge in chopper deal
- EC deploys more police observers for 5th phase of poll in West Bengal
- West Bengal polls: Mamata rakes up 2G scam, slams Congress, BJP, CPI(M)