Chinese city close to N Korean border holds air raid amid nuke threats
Washington: A northeastern Chinese city near the border with North Korea has staged an air raid drill in the wake of rising tensions over Pyongyang’s latest threats.
Chinese media reported that authorities in Huichen, a city of 250,000 people in Jilin province, sounded alarms in residential areas on Thursday morning.
It said participants were shown to underground shelters and the all-clear was sounded 30 minutes later, the Huffington Post reports.
The media report quoted the leader of the exercise, Xu Helin, as saying the city plans a series of drills to boost residents` "disaster response abilities."
It wasn`t clear how long the drill had been planned or how many took part.
According to the report, Japanese media reported that North Korean parachute troops also conducted drills on Thursday in the city of Sinuiju, across the Yalu River from the Chinese city of Dandong.
It wasn`t clear what was achieved by the exercises, which were clearly visible from the Chinese side, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you