Chinese city close to N Korean border holds air raid amid nuke threats
Washington: A northeastern Chinese city near the border with North Korea has staged an air raid drill in the wake of rising tensions over Pyongyang’s latest threats.
Chinese media reported that authorities in Huichen, a city of 250,000 people in Jilin province, sounded alarms in residential areas on Thursday morning.
It said participants were shown to underground shelters and the all-clear was sounded 30 minutes later, the Huffington Post reports.
The media report quoted the leader of the exercise, Xu Helin, as saying the city plans a series of drills to boost residents` "disaster response abilities."
It wasn`t clear how long the drill had been planned or how many took part.
According to the report, Japanese media reported that North Korean parachute troops also conducted drills on Thursday in the city of Sinuiju, across the Yalu River from the Chinese city of Dandong.
It wasn`t clear what was achieved by the exercises, which were clearly visible from the Chinese side, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues