Chinese city`s top cop replaced for covering up son`s crime
Beijing: The police chief of Taiyuan, capital of north China`s Shanxi province, has been removed from his post due to a scandal involving his role in covering up his son`s drunk driving offence.
The decision was made Friday at a session of the 13th Taiyuan Municipal People`s Congress, the local legislature, which appointed Liu Suiji to replace Li Yali as the city`s police chief, reported Xinhua.
Li, also former deputy police chief of Shanxi province, had already been placed on probation within the Communist Party of China (CPC) for one year over accusations that he attempted to cover up his son`s drunk driving offense.
A video showing Li`s son, Li Zhengyuan, beating up a police officer went viral after it was posted to Chinese social media sites Oct 28, 2012.
The video shows Li Zhengyuan assaulting an officer after being stopped for a traffic violation. Officers then forced him to take a blood alcohol test, the results of which indicated that he had been drunk driving.
Instead of taking him into custody, some other officers walked him home.
An investigation by the CPC discipline authority found that Li Yali had abused his power while handling his son`s offence.
Li was suspended from his police post and removed from his post as CPC secretary of the Taiyuan public security bureau Dec 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chennai-bound Oman Air flight makes emergency landing in Goa
- 'Baar Baar Dekho': Sidharth Malhotra-Katrina Kaif's 'Kala Chashma' breaks all records, rejoices 4.3 million views in 1 day!
- Govt hopes new civil aviation policy will encourage regional connectivity
- India's Security Council permanent seat hope receives setback
- Actors can do little to break away from stereotypes: Zakir Hussain