Chinese couples opt for divorces to claim extra compensation
Beijing: A probe has been ordered after
over 100 couples in east China`s Jiangsu province, where
demolition is going on to build a Sci-tech Zone, filed for
divorce to get extra compensation for resettlement.
On Monday, when the resettlement notice was
unveiled, a mind-boggling 128 couples filed for divorce in
Nanjing`s Jiangning District, where the Sci-tech Zone would be
located, state-run China Daily reported today.
The divorces picked up following rumours that that
divorces after the public notice would not result in more
"Our village is going to be demolished (for a new
project); if we get divorced, we will get more compensation
for the extra household," 70 year old Chen who filed a divorce
papers along with his with his wife at Civil Affairs Bureau in
Nanjing`s Jiangning District told the official media.
The two were married for married for half a century
and parents of two sons and two daughters.
The 68-year-old old Zhang too opted for divorce with
his wife to end 30 years of marriage hoping to make a double
claim. But unfortunately for him he may not get it as he has
not yet registered his marriage officially.
The bizarre event, far from being an isolated case
in China, has already caught the attention of local
government, which summoned an emergency meeting on Tuesday to
stipulate that "shell divorces" won`t work.
An open letter has been issued to local residents, in
an attempt to dispel the rumors.
News reports said local government also ordered probe
to punish the "divorce swindlers."
Resettlement deals would be annulled if there was
any fraud, authorities said.
The problem appears to be the chaotic interpretations
of the resettlement compensation.
The rules for resettlement compensation vary in
different regions in China.
Generally each household is entitled to a new home
proportional in size to the demolished one, along with cash
payment to settle the difference between owners of large and
A divorced couple are entitled to extra home, or at
least more compensation.
Since property prices are already sky-high across the
country and real estate is virtually worshiped as a symbol of
social stature, it should come as no surprise that residents
would get separated just to secure a windfall, the daily
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference