Chinese court denounces awarding of Nobel prize
Beijing: A spokesman for the Beijing court that upheld an 11-year prison sentence for Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo denounced the award on Friday in the latest indication that China will ignore international calls for his release.
The unnamed spokesman for the Beijing Municipal Higher People`s Court, quoted by the official Xinhua News Agency, said giving the peace prize to Liu was a rude interference in China`s judicial sovereignty.
His comments are the latest in a series in China`s state-run media denouncing the peace award and accusing Western countries of trying to interfere in China`s internal affairs.
China has accused the West of using the Nobel to undermine China and calling Liu a criminal. The literary critic and activist is imprisoned for subversion after co-authoring a call for political reform in China.
Since the peace prize was awarded on October 08, Liu`s wife, Liu Xia, has been under house arrest, her phones have been cut off, and dozens of activists have reported being detained or harassed by police over the peace prize.
"China`s judicial organs will strictly follow Chinese law and the court verdict, which has come into effect, to execute the punishment given to Liu," said the spokesman.
World leaders, including President Barack Obama, have called for Liu`s release.
The court spokesman said Liu had been fairly tried and sentenced.
"We strongly oppose some people making arbitrary criticism on China`s judicatory with double standards," said the spokesman.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow