Chinese court denounces awarding of Nobel prize
Beijing: A spokesman for the Beijing court that upheld an 11-year prison sentence for Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo denounced the award on Friday in the latest indication that China will ignore international calls for his release.
The unnamed spokesman for the Beijing Municipal Higher People`s Court, quoted by the official Xinhua News Agency, said giving the peace prize to Liu was a rude interference in China`s judicial sovereignty.
His comments are the latest in a series in China`s state-run media denouncing the peace award and accusing Western countries of trying to interfere in China`s internal affairs.
China has accused the West of using the Nobel to undermine China and calling Liu a criminal. The literary critic and activist is imprisoned for subversion after co-authoring a call for political reform in China.
Since the peace prize was awarded on October 08, Liu`s wife, Liu Xia, has been under house arrest, her phones have been cut off, and dozens of activists have reported being detained or harassed by police over the peace prize.
"China`s judicial organs will strictly follow Chinese law and the court verdict, which has come into effect, to execute the punishment given to Liu," said the spokesman.
World leaders, including President Barack Obama, have called for Liu`s release.
The court spokesman said Liu had been fairly tried and sentenced.
"We strongly oppose some people making arbitrary criticism on China`s judicatory with double standards," said the spokesman.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL