Chinese court sentences doctor to death for child trafficking
Beijing: A Chinese obstetrician in the country`s northwestern Shaanxi Province was today sentenced to death with a two years` reprieve for trafficking seven babies.
Zhang Shuxia, a doctor with Fuping County Maternal and Child Health Care Hospital, is accused of selling seven babies, one of whom later died, to human traffickers after persuading their parents to give up their "sick" newborns, the Weinan Intermediate People`s Court said in its verdict.
On July 20, a mother surnamed Dong suspected her baby had been abducted and reported the incident to police.
Zhang is accused of falsely claiming that her child had a congenital disease, according to the court.
The baby was found in good condition in neighboring Henan Province on August 5.
Zhang was detained in August and stood trial on December 30 last year, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bipasha Basu just shared vignettes of 'mad love' on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'! – View pics
- IPL 2016, final: Five reasons why SunRisers Hyderabad will be no match for Virat Kohli and co
- Sharing stage with Madhuri Dixit, 'a moment to cherish forever' for Lisa Haydon!
- Karan Johar visits 'Befikre' sets, gets emotional cherishing 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' days!
- Bizarre: Man puts wife at stake in IPL gambling, loses her