Chinese court sentences doctor to death for child trafficking
Beijing: A Chinese obstetrician in the country`s northwestern Shaanxi Province was today sentenced to death with a two years` reprieve for trafficking seven babies.
Zhang Shuxia, a doctor with Fuping County Maternal and Child Health Care Hospital, is accused of selling seven babies, one of whom later died, to human traffickers after persuading their parents to give up their "sick" newborns, the Weinan Intermediate People`s Court said in its verdict.
On July 20, a mother surnamed Dong suspected her baby had been abducted and reported the incident to police.
Zhang is accused of falsely claiming that her child had a congenital disease, according to the court.
The baby was found in good condition in neighboring Henan Province on August 5.
Zhang was detained in August and stood trial on December 30 last year, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video