Chinese court sentences doctor to death for child trafficking
Beijing: A Chinese obstetrician in the country`s northwestern Shaanxi Province was today sentenced to death with a two years` reprieve for trafficking seven babies.
Zhang Shuxia, a doctor with Fuping County Maternal and Child Health Care Hospital, is accused of selling seven babies, one of whom later died, to human traffickers after persuading their parents to give up their "sick" newborns, the Weinan Intermediate People`s Court said in its verdict.
On July 20, a mother surnamed Dong suspected her baby had been abducted and reported the incident to police.
Zhang is accused of falsely claiming that her child had a congenital disease, according to the court.
The baby was found in good condition in neighboring Henan Province on August 5.
Zhang was detained in August and stood trial on December 30 last year, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan