Chinese court sentences toddler killer to death
Beijing: A Chinese man was sentenced to death by a court here on Wednesday for killing a two-year-old girl by hurling her to the ground after an argument with the baby`s mother over a parking space.
The Beijing No 1 Intermediate People`s Court handed the death sentence to Han Lei, 39, on charges of intentional homicide, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
In a case that evoked anger across China, Han grabbed the girl from her carriage and hurled her to the ground in the Daxing District of Beijing on July 23 after an argument with the toddler`s mother over a parking space.
Han, a former convict, fled the scene but was captured the next day.
The girl was severely injured and died days later despite treatment.
During the trial, Han claimed that he thought he slammed the carriage down but not the baby.
His friend who was with him at the scene however confirmed Han indeed threw the baby down in a fit of anger.
Han said he would appeal the sentence.
Prosecutors recommended Han be given the death sentence.
A former convict he was released an year ago from prison.
China witnessed several such incidents in the recent months.
On September 21, a man in southern Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region threw a two-year-old boy from the sixth floor of over a "romantic dispute" with the kid`s mother resulting in the death of the child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan