Chinese court upholds policeman`s death sentence
Beijing: A Chinese court on Wednesday rejected an appeal by a policeman against his death sentence for killing a pregnant woman in an inebriated state.
The Higher People`s Court of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region upheld the verdict handed down to Hu Ping by Guigang Intermediate People`s Court.
Hu who was sentenced to death for intentional homicide at his first trial.
Besides the death sentence, Guigang Intermediate People`s Court ordered him to pay USD 12,000 fine.
A police investigation found that Hu, 34, was drunk when he shot the woman and her husband, who ran a rice noodle restaurant, on October 28 in Pingnan county.
The husband sustained minor injuries to his right shoulder. The pregnant woman, who was shot twice by Hu, later died.
The high court also rejected the request of Hu`s lawyer`s for new evaluation on Hu`s mental state when the shooting occurred.
The lawyer believed Hu was too drunk to be aware of his behaviour.
According to the court, Hu, as a policeman, first violated the regulations on gun control by carrying a gun to a dinner party and getting drunk.
Then he committed crimes by shooting innocent people and leaving one dead and the other injured, according to the Higher People`s Court.
Hu`s crime employed "exceptionally cruel methods" and caused "abominable influence on society," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!