Chinese daily takes umbrage to Manila renaming sea
Beijing: A Chinese daily on Friday targeted Manila for renaming a part of South China Sea the West Philippine Sea and said Beijing "will not tolerate the Philippines` attempts to encroach upon its maritime territory".
An editorial in the China Daily said: "By renaming a part of the South China Sea the `West Philippine Sea`, Manila has managed again to whip up tensions between itself and China, especially since the waters it claims as its maritime territory in fact contain China`s Huangyan Island."
"It is only natural that Beijing would strongly oppose such a reckless decision," it said.
The Philippine Daily Inquirer recently said Philippine President Benigno Aquino signed an administrative order on September 05 to give the name West Philippine Sea to parts of the South China Sea that "fall within the country`s exclusive economic zone".
The Chinese daily said "any reasonable person can recognise that Manila is being irrational if it thinks it can gain sovereignty over a part of the South China Sea simply by giving it a different name".
It warned: "China, with its indisputable sovereignty over Huangyan Island, will not tolerate the Philippines` attempts to encroach upon its maritime territory."
"Manila`s decision is therefore null and void and will do nothing to change the fact that the South China Sea and Huangyan Island have been part of Chinese territory since ancient times," it added.
The editorial went on to say that Manila has "resorted to one antic after another to restate its `sovereignty` over that territory. Those have only succeeded in aggravating the situation and straining Sino-Philippine ties".
"...Manila`s latest decision will do nothing but squander the efforts both sides have made to quell the recent disputes. China will never shy away from protecting its territory.”
"The Philippines, therefore, will have to reap what it has sown."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter