Chinese defence minister embarks on US visit
Beijing: Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie on Friday embarked on a visit to the US as efforts are on to reduce the risk of a confrontation between their militaries in the Asia-Pacific, which has seen aggressive posturing by Beijing.
Liang, who is visiting America at the invitation of US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta, will hold talks with the latter and address a joint conference.
Liang, an influential military figure in the Chinese military hierarchy, will be in the US till May 10.
During the visit, he will also meet other state and military leaders and tour several defence installations.
The US has sought closer military ties with China, saying it would help build a cooperative relationship between the two nations.
China and the Philippines have been embroiled in a territorial dispute in the South China Sea. Manila has sought US` assistance to counter Beijing`s military might.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why