Chinese defence minister embarks on US visit
Beijing: Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie on Friday embarked on a visit to the US as efforts are on to reduce the risk of a confrontation between their militaries in the Asia-Pacific, which has seen aggressive posturing by Beijing.
Liang, who is visiting America at the invitation of US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta, will hold talks with the latter and address a joint conference.
Liang, an influential military figure in the Chinese military hierarchy, will be in the US till May 10.
During the visit, he will also meet other state and military leaders and tour several defence installations.
The US has sought closer military ties with China, saying it would help build a cooperative relationship between the two nations.
China and the Philippines have been embroiled in a territorial dispute in the South China Sea. Manila has sought US` assistance to counter Beijing`s military might.
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why