Chinese defence minister embarks on US visit
Beijing: Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie on Friday embarked on a visit to the US as efforts are on to reduce the risk of a confrontation between their militaries in the Asia-Pacific, which has seen aggressive posturing by Beijing.
Liang, who is visiting America at the invitation of US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta, will hold talks with the latter and address a joint conference.
Liang, an influential military figure in the Chinese military hierarchy, will be in the US till May 10.
During the visit, he will also meet other state and military leaders and tour several defence installations.
The US has sought closer military ties with China, saying it would help build a cooperative relationship between the two nations.
China and the Philippines have been embroiled in a territorial dispute in the South China Sea. Manila has sought US` assistance to counter Beijing`s military might.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends