`Chinese defence minister`s India visit a success`
Beijing: Terming Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie`s visit to India a success, China on Thursday said the two countries had agreed to push forwards relations and step up military to military exchanges.
Gen Liang, the first Chinese defence minister to visit India in eight years, held talks with his Indian counterpart AK Antony, during his five-day visit to India.
Hong Lie told a media briefing here today that the visit was successful, though he declined to react to the controversy over the cash gift to two Indian Air Force pilots who flew the Gen Liang from Mumbai to New Delhi.
"Liang`s visit to India was a success. He had meetings with political and military leaders of India," he said answering a question.
"Both sides agreed to push forward China, India relations, step up military to military exchanges and work jointly to maintain the momentum of China and India relations," he said.
Asked about reports in the Indian media over Liang gifting Rs 50,000 cash to each of the pilot, Hong said he was not aware of the specifics of the incident.
His visit is widely reported in the Chinese media while the defence and strategic analysts said the two countries should move beyond joint military exercises and firm up the defence ties with more exchanges.
During the talks, India and China decided to resume at the "earliest" joint military exercises, which had been put on hold since 2010 over visa row, and agreed to enhance tranquillity at the borders, reflecting their keenness to improve mutual confidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what