`Chinese defense chief`s visit to sustain positive momentum in US-China military ties`
Beijing: The visit to the United States by Chinese Minister of National Defense Chang Wanquan will help sustain the "positive momentum" that has been achieved in the US-China military-to-military ties, the Pentagon said Friday.
Chang is expected to hold talks with his US counterpart Chuck Hagel at the Pentagon on Monday, when the two "will have an opportunity to discuss a variety of issues," including the US-China relationship and the military-to-military relationship, Pentagon spokesman Steve Warren told reporters.
Chang is meeting Friday with Samuel Locklear, commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, in Hawaii at the first stop of his US visit. He is scheduled to meet with Charles Jacoby, commander of the North American Aerospace Defense Command and US Northern Command, both headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Warren said.
The spokesman noted that Chang`s visit illustrates and will help sustain the positive momentum that has been achieved in the US-China military-to-military relationship over the past 18 months.
The visit "sustains the regular set of interactions between the two leaders that reflects the positive nature of the US-China military-to-military relationship," Warren said.
This momentum began when Chinese President Xi Jinping visited the US in February last year, then in the capacity of vice president, which including a meeting with then US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta at the Pentagon.
Last May, Panetta hosted Chang`s predecessor Liang Guanglie at the Pentagon to continue the momentum of boosting bilateral military cooperation. In April, US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey paid a visit to China.
In his meeting with Dempsey, Chinese President Xi has said the military ties constitute an important part of the cooperative partnership between China and the United States.
Xi said China is willing to make joint efforts with the US side to deepen trust in each other and expand exchanges and cooperation to establish a new type of military relationship between the two countries.
During their summit in June in California, Xi and his US counterpart Barack Obama also agreed to find a new way to manage their differences and actively foster a new type of militaryrelations commensurate with the new type of major-country relationship that features mutual respect and win-win cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India