`Chinese dissident’s family unlikely to collect Nobel prize`
Oslo: No members of jailed Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo`s immediate family can come to Oslo to receive his Nobel Peace Prize, Nobel Institute director Geir Lundestad has said.
"It seems that Liu Xiaobo`s family has given up hope that someone in the laureate’s family will be able to travel from China and be present in Oslo on December 10," Lundestad told Norwegian public broadcaster NRK on Wednesday.
No one from the family was on an updated guest list on Wednesday, he said.
Lundestad added that the December 10 prize ceremony would go ahead, but said the Nobel Peace Prize medal, diploma, and award of 10 million Swedish kronor (USD 1.4 million) would not be handed out.
It is expected to be the first time in the prize`s 109-year-history that neither the laureate nor a representative will show up to receive the prestigious award.
On three previous occasions, the Peace Prize winner was unable to make it to Oslo, but each time a representative attended the Oslo ceremony and collected the prize instead.
NRK said the only guests from Liu`s side were members of the Chinese Diaspora or Chinese who lived in Hong Kong.
The December ceremony will include a traditional concert hosted by US actor Denzel Washington and featuring musical celebrities like British singer-songwriter Elvis Costello, R&B singer India Arie and jazz pianist Herbie Hancock.
Liu, who was sentenced to 11 years in prison last December on subversion charges after co-authoring a manifesto calling for political reform in China, was announced as the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize on October 08 – enraging China`s rulers.
Beijing, which considers Liu a "criminal", has threatened there will be "consequences" for countries that support the dissident.
The Chinese embassy in Oslo has sent a letter to other countries` missions in the city requesting that they refrain from attending the ceremony.
Despite the warning, most Western countries, including the United States, Britain, France and Germany have already said they will attend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state