Chinese ex-military leader under graft investigation: Report
Beijing: A former high-ranking Chinese military leader is under investigation for allegedly taking bribes, a Hong Kong-based watchdog said on Tuesday, coming on the back of the nation`s much-publicised anti-corruption drive.
Guo Boxiong, 72, a former vice chairman of China`s Central Military Commission, is suspected of "helping others gain promotions by receiving bribes", the Information Center for Human Rights and Democracy said in a report.
The report said the military ran on a "dual leadership" system where a person`s promotion must be approved by the vice chairmen of the commission.
"The person seeking to issue bribes must give presents to both people," the report said, without citing sources.
Guo`s colleague Xu Caihou, also a former vice chairman of the commission, was stripped of his party membership over graft in June when his case was handed over to prosecutors.
Xu, 71, was the first former member of the Communist Party`s elite 25-strong Politburo to fall in President Xi Jinping`s crackdown on graft.
The People`s Liberation Army`s influence in domestic affairs has waned since the days of Communist China`s founding father Mao Zedong, but it remains a political force to be reckoned with and has at the same time built up a vast network of business interests.
The dramatic expulsion of Xu is an assertion of political control over the powerful and wealthy military by Xi, who intended to send the PLA a clear message, analysts have said.
Xi took office as president in 2012 warning that graft could destroy the party and vowing to root out corrupt officials from high-ranking "tigers" to low-level "flies".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks