Chinese firm provides 3G network at Mt Everest base in Tibet
Beijing: Mountaineers attempting to scale the world`s highest peak Mount Everest from Tibet will now be able to make video calls with their mobile phones as the largest Chinese mobile company has established its station at a 5,200-meter-high base camp.
"A just-finished week-long trial of the No 2 China Mobile 3G base station at the camp has found to be working well, providing a stable network service, according to a statement," issued friday by the mobile operator`s Tibetan branch.
Zhuo Feng, general manager with the branch, told media that signal from the base station can reach a height of 6,500 meters.
"Tourists were complaining that they could not make phone calls at the base camp," he said.
"Now they can call their friends here and show them the picturesque landscape of Mount Qomolangma, the local name for Mt Everest."
Zhuo said the company does not have any plans to move the base station to a higher altitude for the time being, in consideration of pressure from environmentalists.
He said mobile network has covered 90 per cent of the areas along the route linking Lhasa, capital of southwest China`s Tibet Autonomous Region, and the base camp.
The camp is often used as a resting place for climbers preparing for ascents or descents of the 8,848-meter-high Mountain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27