Chinese fishermen die in bid to reach Chilean coast
Santiago: Three Chinese citizens died after jumping into the sea from a fishing boat in the Strait of Magellan in an apparent attempt to reach the Chilean coast and seek asylum.
A fourth member of the boat`s crew is still missing.
The incident was confirmed by Chilean navy Lt Cmdr Milidrag Delic, who said they were able to recover the bodies of three men from the Hong-Da 2, currently anchored near the strait.
Delci said he was notified around 8 am Sunday when officers of the Hong-Da 2 said that the four men were no longer on board and some survival equipment such as life jackets were missing.
They concluded that the Chinese fishermen had jumped in the sea in order to swim to the Chilean coast.
"That morning the dead bodies of three crew members were found. A fourth crew member is still missing, so the search continues," Delic said.
Radio Bio Bio, which identified the crew members as Wang Hao, Yin Xingqi, Yang Cunbao and Sun Changman, said that the water`s freezing temperature was a key factor in their deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days