Chinese fishermen die in bid to reach Chilean coast
Santiago: Three Chinese citizens died after jumping into the sea from a fishing boat in the Strait of Magellan in an apparent attempt to reach the Chilean coast and seek asylum.
A fourth member of the boat`s crew is still missing.
The incident was confirmed by Chilean navy Lt Cmdr Milidrag Delic, who said they were able to recover the bodies of three men from the Hong-Da 2, currently anchored near the strait.
Delci said he was notified around 8 am Sunday when officers of the Hong-Da 2 said that the four men were no longer on board and some survival equipment such as life jackets were missing.
They concluded that the Chinese fishermen had jumped in the sea in order to swim to the Chilean coast.
"That morning the dead bodies of three crew members were found. A fourth crew member is still missing, so the search continues," Delic said.
Radio Bio Bio, which identified the crew members as Wang Hao, Yin Xingqi, Yang Cunbao and Sun Changman, said that the water`s freezing temperature was a key factor in their deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city