Chinese fishermen released by North Korea
Beijing: The 29 Chinese fishermen and three boats that were captured by unidentified North Koreans in the Yellow Sea have been released, according to state media.
The North Korean foreign ministry told the Chinese Embassy in Pyongyang that the Chinese fishermen were freed, BBC reports.
Chinese Ambassador Liu Hongcai and other diplomats worked closely through negotiation with North Korea to get the fishermen released.
The fishermen did not suffer from any health problems, Jiang Yaxian, a counsellor at the Chinese Embassy in Pyongyang, said.
The captors had demanded ransom for the release of the fishermen, but it is not known whether any payment had been made.
It remains unclear if the boats were captured by North Korean authorities or kidnappers.
The fishermen were captured on May 8 in the Yellow Sea between China and North Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof