Chinese fishing boat, 7 crew hijacked off Cameroon
Yaounde: A Chinese fishing vessel with seven fishermen aboard was hijacked off the coast of Cameroon in the latest attack in the waters of West Africa`s Gulf of Guinea, the Chinese embassy in Cameroon said on Saturday.
"We are working together with the Cameroon authorities on ways and means of seeking their release," an embassy official said of Friday`s hijack in international waters off the Bakassi peninsula.
The official said responsibility for the kidnapping had been claimed by the "Africa Marine Commando”, a group not known to have been involved any recent attacks on local shipping.
Chinese crews are a common sight in the rich fishing waters of West Africa.
While West African pirates have not attracted the same amount of international attention as their Somali counterparts, maritime analysts say they pose an increasing risk in a region with weak surveillance and a growing number of oil finds.
The last major attack in the Gulf of Guinea was in November, when pirates attacked an oil tanker off Benin, killing a Ukrainian sailor and stealing the contents of the ship`s safe.
Unlike Somali pirates, seaborne gangs in West Africa aim to seize cargoes rather than take hostages for ransom.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents