Chinese fishing boat, 7 crew hijacked off Cameroon
Yaounde: A Chinese fishing vessel with seven fishermen aboard was hijacked off the coast of Cameroon in the latest attack in the waters of West Africa`s Gulf of Guinea, the Chinese embassy in Cameroon said on Saturday.
"We are working together with the Cameroon authorities on ways and means of seeking their release," an embassy official said of Friday`s hijack in international waters off the Bakassi peninsula.
The official said responsibility for the kidnapping had been claimed by the "Africa Marine Commando”, a group not known to have been involved any recent attacks on local shipping.
Chinese crews are a common sight in the rich fishing waters of West Africa.
While West African pirates have not attracted the same amount of international attention as their Somali counterparts, maritime analysts say they pose an increasing risk in a region with weak surveillance and a growing number of oil finds.
The last major attack in the Gulf of Guinea was in November, when pirates attacked an oil tanker off Benin, killing a Ukrainian sailor and stealing the contents of the ship`s safe.
Unlike Somali pirates, seaborne gangs in West Africa aim to seize cargoes rather than take hostages for ransom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan