Chinese `godman` charged with sexually assaulting four women
Beijing: A self-proclaimed "Buddhist master"
in China has been charged with deluding four women into having
sexual relationship with him and defrauding over 100 others of
46-year-old Zu Fuyou, who claimed to be the "Jiuhua
Mountain Buddha," allegedly raped the women and committed
fraud over a seven-year period in 10 different provinces,
according to Dongcheng District Public Security Bureau here.
He was arrested in Guangqumen area of Dongcheng district
in November last year, the state-run Global Times reported.
Among his alleged victims was a lady migrant worker, to
whom he had told that he could perform a ritual to drive her
bad luck away and later prevailed on her to develop sexual
relationship after convincing her that he was her husband in
her previous life.
Zhou Xiaozheng, director of the Law and Sociology
Research Centre at Renmin University of China, told the Global
Times that the case outlined the fact that the Chinese society
is lacking knowledge of religion.
Zhou felt that the Chinese people do not believe in the
authorities. "But they still need to believe in something,
which opens weak points for some evil people to exploit."
Hu Jianqiang, the Bureau`s spokesman, told the paper,
"We`ve gathered all the evidence and the prosecution will
start within one month."
Police have found seven victims so far and are now
working on catching Zu`s middle-aged helper.
At present, Zu has been charged with deluding four women
into having sexual relationship with him and defrauding over
100 others of about USD 300,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'