Chinese `godman` charged with sexually assaulting four women
Beijing: A self-proclaimed "Buddhist master"
in China has been charged with deluding four women into having
sexual relationship with him and defrauding over 100 others of
46-year-old Zu Fuyou, who claimed to be the "Jiuhua
Mountain Buddha," allegedly raped the women and committed
fraud over a seven-year period in 10 different provinces,
according to Dongcheng District Public Security Bureau here.
He was arrested in Guangqumen area of Dongcheng district
in November last year, the state-run Global Times reported.
Among his alleged victims was a lady migrant worker, to
whom he had told that he could perform a ritual to drive her
bad luck away and later prevailed on her to develop sexual
relationship after convincing her that he was her husband in
her previous life.
Zhou Xiaozheng, director of the Law and Sociology
Research Centre at Renmin University of China, told the Global
Times that the case outlined the fact that the Chinese society
is lacking knowledge of religion.
Zhou felt that the Chinese people do not believe in the
authorities. "But they still need to believe in something,
which opens weak points for some evil people to exploit."
Hu Jianqiang, the Bureau`s spokesman, told the paper,
"We`ve gathered all the evidence and the prosecution will
start within one month."
Police have found seven victims so far and are now
working on catching Zu`s middle-aged helper.
At present, Zu has been charged with deluding four women
into having sexual relationship with him and defrauding over
100 others of about USD 300,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list