Chinese grandma shields kid from landslide, dies
Beijing: Chinese state media said a grandmother has died while shielding her 15-month-old granddaughter from being crushed by a landslide that toppled their house around them.
State broadcaster CCTV played footage on Thursday of rescuers in southwestern China`s Sichuan province retrieving the child from the rubble of her home after being trapped for seven hours.
Rescuers described how the child`s grandmother, Pan Guofen, apparently used her body to protect the child against a large concrete slab, forming an arch by kneeling on all fours, her hands clenched into fists.
The child was safely ensconced under the arch but her grandmother`s head was crushed by a brick and did not survive. Torrential rain has triggered floods and landslides in Sichuan in recent days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi