Chinese grandma shields kid from landslide, dies
Beijing: Chinese state media said a grandmother has died while shielding her 15-month-old granddaughter from being crushed by a landslide that toppled their house around them.
State broadcaster CCTV played footage on Thursday of rescuers in southwestern China`s Sichuan province retrieving the child from the rubble of her home after being trapped for seven hours.
Rescuers described how the child`s grandmother, Pan Guofen, apparently used her body to protect the child against a large concrete slab, forming an arch by kneeling on all fours, her hands clenched into fists.
The child was safely ensconced under the arch but her grandmother`s head was crushed by a brick and did not survive. Torrential rain has triggered floods and landslides in Sichuan in recent days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre