Chinese icebreaker on way to help trapped ship in Antarctica
Zee Media Bureau
Tasmania: Help may be on the way for the scientific mission ship trapped in East Antarctica. A Chinese icebreaker is expected to reach the ship and will try to cut a path through ice.
The ship, Academic Shokalskiy, has been trapped in thick sheets of ice since Christmas day. More than seventy people are said to be on board the ship. The Snow Dragon icebreaker will try to help the vessel reach open waters.
The vessel, which is Russian, is being used by the Australasian Antarctic Expedition and are following the route explorer Douglas Mawson travelled a century ago. They aim to see how aspects of environment has changed over the years.
The Chinese icebreaker may ask for assistance from two other French and Australian boats.
Meanwhile, there are fears of blizzard which may hamper the rescue efforts. However, it is said that the ship has enough stock of food.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!