Chinese leader for steps to counter `Dalai Lama clique`
Beijing: China should step up efforts to fight the `Dalai Lama clique` in Tibet with development to ensure stability in the region, a senior Chinese leader has said in the backdrop of increasing reports of self immolations.
Tibet-related issues are of paramount importance for the Communist Party of China (CPC) and the country, and stability and development should be stressed in Tibetan regions, Jia Qinglin, a high-ranking member of the party told a conference here today.
Jia, part of the nine member Standing Committee of the CPC and chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People`s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) said the fight against Dalai Lama is to be matched with greater development of the region.
Over 50 self immolation cases were reported from different parts of Tibet and Tibetan prefectures of China as protesters called for the return of the Dalai Lama from exile.
Jia`s comments came ahead of the key Congress of the Party here on November 8 to select a new set of leaders to replace President Hu Jintao and other leaders who would be retiring.
It is to be seen whether the new leadership would pursue the same iron-fisted policy towards Tibet or look for political reconciliation to ease unrest in the Himalayan plateau.
Jia said ideological education and identity should be strengthened in Tibetan regions and Party`s organisational work and community-level political construction should be enhanced to boost development and stability.
He stressed that Tibetan regions are at a key stage of development, and said the Tibetans` livelihoods should be improved and the regions` ecological protection should be emphasised, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!