Chinese leader for steps to counter `Dalai Lama clique`
Beijing: China should step up efforts to fight the `Dalai Lama clique` in Tibet with development to ensure stability in the region, a senior Chinese leader has said in the backdrop of increasing reports of self immolations.
Tibet-related issues are of paramount importance for the Communist Party of China (CPC) and the country, and stability and development should be stressed in Tibetan regions, Jia Qinglin, a high-ranking member of the party told a conference here today.
Jia, part of the nine member Standing Committee of the CPC and chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People`s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) said the fight against Dalai Lama is to be matched with greater development of the region.
Over 50 self immolation cases were reported from different parts of Tibet and Tibetan prefectures of China as protesters called for the return of the Dalai Lama from exile.
Jia`s comments came ahead of the key Congress of the Party here on November 8 to select a new set of leaders to replace President Hu Jintao and other leaders who would be retiring.
It is to be seen whether the new leadership would pursue the same iron-fisted policy towards Tibet or look for political reconciliation to ease unrest in the Himalayan plateau.
Jia said ideological education and identity should be strengthened in Tibetan regions and Party`s organisational work and community-level political construction should be enhanced to boost development and stability.
He stressed that Tibetan regions are at a key stage of development, and said the Tibetans` livelihoods should be improved and the regions` ecological protection should be emphasised, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi