Chinese legislator loses his post for having multiple wives
Beijing: A legislator from China`s northern city of Taiyuan has lost his job for having multiple wives.
Authorities from the city`s Xiaodian district said Li Juwen, former director of the Xizan Village Committee, has been suspended from his post as the Xiaodian district`s People`s Congress deputy.
Li is currently on bail and awaiting trial, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
It is likely that Li will be charged with bigamy and violation of the one-child policy, it said.
It is openly known in the village of Xizan that Li has four wives, as three of his wives, as well as nine of the children he has had with them, are registered as local residents living in his household.
After failing to be re-elected as head of the village committee in 2011, he lost the "privilege" of having his fourth wife and their son registered in his household.
The district government has set up a work committee made up of members of the district`s People`s Congress, discipline department, politics and law committee, public security department, family planning department and civil affairs department to investigate the case, the reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list