Chinese maker of US Olympic uniforms hits back
Beijing: Li Guilian, whose USD 300 million Dayang Trands firm manufactured the US Olympic team’s Ralph Lauren blazers and slacks, has questioned if America can really make the suits it makes.
"I have a simple question," New York Daily News quoted Li as asking, adding: "Can America really make the suits we make? We have cheaper costs here, so you can have cheaper prices in America."
Li said that American officials should “pay attention to the performances of the US athletes and not their clothes.”
"Don`t you think we deserve credit?" she asked. "We`ve made so many customers happy over the years."
Li’s firm makes five million suits a year for companies ranging from Banana Republic to DKNY. She has also profited politically from her enterprise and is now a member of an elite group of 3,000 within the National People’s Congress. The entrepreneur’s comments touch on a contentious issue within American economic policy over how much manufacturing should be sent abroad. Currently, just about half of all American clothing is made in China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video