Chinese man dies of H5N6 bird flu
Beijing: A Chinese man has died of a new strain of avian flu H5N6 while being treated in a hospital, becoming the world`s first case of human to have been affected by the deadly virus, the state media reported today.
The 49-year-old man hailing from Nanbu county in Sichuan province died yesterday, becoming the first human to have been hit by the new virus called H5N6.
He died while receiving the treatment at a hospital, the Sichuan Provincial Health and Family Planning Commission said.
He suffered a severe case of pneumonia and was detected to have the H5N6 strain after a throat swab, CCTV reported.
The patient had been exposed to dead poultry and was initially diagnosed as having pneumonia, state-run Xinhua news agency said today, adding that authorities said people who had had close contact with him have shown no symptoms.
Last year three types of bird flu - H7N9, H10N8 and H6N1 - infected humans for the first time, all in China. About one-fifth of the 419 cases of H7N9 infections proved fatal. Two people contracted H10N8, while a woman in Taiwan who was infected with H6N1 bird flu recovered, Hong Kong`s South China Morning Post reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review