Chinese man executed for school stabbing: Report
Beijing: A Chinese man was executed on Sunday morning for stabbing 29 children and three teachers in eastern China, the official Xinhua news agency said.
A string of attacks at Chinese schools has killed a total of 27 people and injured more than 80 since March, prompting calls for better protection of students and worries about the social malaise that some see underneath China`s rapid economic growth.
Xu Yuyuan, 47, a local copyshop owner, was sentenced to death on April 15 for intentional homicide, after attacking a kindergarten in Taixing city in eastern Jiangsu province last month. Nobody died in Xu`s attack but four of the victims were severely injured.
Chinese media have downplayed the school attacks, with Xu`s execution reported in Xinhua`s English service but not its Chinese service.
"Xu admitted his motive was to vent rage against society after losing money in gambling and business, while suffering other setbacks in his personal life," Xinhua said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story