Chinese man sentenced to death for raping 16 minor girls
Beijing: A man who raped 16 minor girls has been sentenced to death in east China, a case that triggered widespread public outrage in the country.
The Intermediate People`s Court of Wuhu City in Anhui province sentenced Wang Yong (40) to death and deprived him of his political rights for life, the state media reported today.
The court also sentenced his accomplice, also a minor girl, to three years` imprisonment earlier in March, Xinhua news agency reported.
He was arrested in last September on the charges of raping several school girls, aged from 12 to 16, starting from 2009.
Unemployed Wang posed as a female on social networks to befriend schoolgirls, and coerced them to meet him.
His victims were taken to hotels, where he raped them.
Meanwhile, the defendant instigated a 16-year-old girl, who claimed to be coerced by Wang, to seek younger victims for him.
After winning their trust, this girl brought them to the hotels.
According to the court, Wang raped 16 minor girls 22 times, forcing them into the acts through threatening language and violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened