Chinese media asks US to ‘shut up’ over South China Sea
Beijing: China’s state-run media has asked the United States to ‘shut up’ and stop meddling in its territorial disputes in the South China Sea.
China slammed a US State Department statement that said Washington was closely monitoring territorial disputes in the South China Sea.
It also said that China’s establishment of a military garrison for the area risks "further escalating tensions in the region".
China, however, pointed out that its disputes with Vietnam, the Philippines and other southeast Asian claimants should be settled one-on-one, and bristled at U.S. backing for a multilateral approach to solving the overlapping claims, The Telegraph reports.
“We are entirely entitled to shout at the United States, ‘shut up``,” said a commentary in the overseas edition of the People’s Daily, an offshoot of the ruling Chinese Communist Party’s top newspaper.
“How can meddling by other countries be tolerated in matters that are within the scope of Chinese sovereignty?” it added.
The main, domestic edition of the newspaper was equally harsh, and accused Washington of seeking to open up divisions between China and its Asian neighbours.
“Fanning the flames and provoking division, deliberately creating antagonism with China, is not a new game,” the People’s Daily domestic edition said.
“But of late Washington has been itching to use this trick,” it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried