Chinese media lauds Xi as man of people, statesman of vision
Beijing: Chinese official media Sunday projected the country`s new leader Xi Jinping as man of the people and statesman of vision, playing down his "princeling" image.
Releasing his lengthy profile `Xi Jinping: Man of the people, statesman of vision`, State-run Xinhua news agency prominently featured his photograph with his celebrity wife Peng Liyuan, China`s most famous folk singer.
The article began with how Xi, 59 made a quiet appearance at a park in industrial town Shenzen early this month after his election as the General Secretary of the Party last month.
"Early risers, carrying on their usual morning exercise, did not expect to see a big name. The park was not cordoned. There was no red carpet nor were there people waving welcoming banners," the Xinhua write up said.
"A middle-aged man in a dark suit, and a tieless white shirt, laid a wreath at the park`s statue of the late Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping. Then he walked into the surrounding crowd and began a casual chat. The visitor was Xi Jinping, the newly elected general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee," it said.
Also for the first time of after his election, succeeding Hu Jintao, Xinhua carried his picture with wife Peng Liyuan, who is set to emerge as China first celebrity lady after Mao era.
Xi who has already take over as Party head and Chief of Military would take over as President when Hu formally retires in March next.
Unlike other Communist Leaders who rise through party ranks in relative obscurity, Xi, son of former Vice Premier has become famous after married to Peng who is a well known all over the country as an iconic folk singer appearing in special shows on state television.
The article also played down his "princeling" image.
"A son of Xi Zhongxun, a Communist revolutionary and former Vice Premier, Xi Jinping did not live in comfort as a boy".
"Beginning in 1962, when his father was wronged and fell in disgrace, Xi experienced tough times. During the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976), he suffered public humiliation and hunger, experienced homelessness and was even held in custody once," it said.
"At the age of 16, he volunteered to live in a small village in northwest China`s Shaanxi Province as an educated youth," it said.
The photo feature also contained young starting his political carrier working in a village besides working in the army as young cadet and cycling his daughter Xi Mingze to school.
Also to highlight his vision and commitment to sport talent, the write up said in 1983, he travelled to the provincial capital of Shijiazhuang to invite a cosmetics expert to work in Zhengding, where he was the Party Secretary.
Without a detailed address for the expert, he went door to door asking where the expert lived and finally found him at night after yelling his name near his home.
The write up also highlighted how he joined as a serviceman in the People`s Liberation Army, (PLA) at the age of 26 years and worked in the military.
He also between 1979 to 1982 he worked as secretary to Geng Biao, a key military strategist who contributed to the founding of the People`s Republic of China. Geng was a soldier-turned-diplomat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark