Chinese merchant killed in Russia during robbery
Beijing: A Chinese merchant has been killed and another injured during a robbery in Yekaterinburg city, prompting China to demand effective measures to protect its nationals in Russia.
Three unidentified attackers broke into a rented flat and tied and beat up three Chinese merchants on Saturday in the Russian city, the Chinese Consulate General in that city said.
One person was killed and the injured was later sent to a hospital for treatment, state-run news agency Xinhua reported.
The perpetrators fled the scene with undefined amount of cash, mobile phones and jewellery, the Consulate General said.
The incident prompted the Chinese Consulate General to urge the Russian side to crack the case as soon as possible.
Reacting to the incident, China today Russia to take effective measures to protect the safety of its nationals.
Hua Chunying, spokesperson from the consulate, said it is an individual case and the consulate has sent consular officers to the site immediately to assist the victims.
The consulate has sent safety alerts to Chinese nationals and informed them to ramp up safety preparedness, she said.
The consulate will follow the development of the case and offer assistance in handling the aftermath, Hua said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal along with a likely 10-member cabinet to take oath today
- Know how long Sonu Nigam sang on the streets for the ‘beggar’ video
- Know what Irrfan Khan has to say about Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’
- Louis van Gaal axed by Manchester United as Jose Mourinho waits in wings
- President Pranab Mukherjee sets off on 4-day visit to China today