Chinese migrant workers exceed 260 mn by 2012
Beijing: The number of Chinese migrant workers, the mainstay of its cheap labour force continue to grow as their total touched 262.61 million last year.
The migrant workers force increased by 3.9 per cent to 262.61 million with over 11 per cent increase in their salaries in 2012, according to latest official data which was released today.
The report released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) showed that 163.36 million migrant workers sought jobs away from home lasting at least six months, marking a year-on-year increase of 3 per cent.
Most of these workers were from less-developed central and western regions. The per capita monthly income of migrant workers stood at 2,290 yuan (USD 370.48) by the end of 2012.
It rose 11.8 per cent from the previous year, but the growth was 9.4 percentage points lower than that of 2011, the state-run Xinhua news agency quoted the NBS as saying.
The transportation and construction sectors offered higher salaries, while migrant workers with jobs in the service, catering and manufacturing sectors earned less.
The average age of Chinese migrant workers stood at 37.3 in 2012, and male workers made up 66.4 per cent of the total, the NBS said.
The survey covered about two lakh rural laborers in over 7,500 villages around the country, said the NBS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray