Chinese military defends $106 bn defence budget
Beijing: Claiming that it has no hidden military expenditure, China on Friday defended the 11.2 percent increase in its defence budget saying that much of it would go for increased salaries of soldiers, training and exercises as well as acquiring new equipment.
The increase of China`s military budget is reasonable and should be viewed objectively, Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun was quoted as saying by the state media.
China increased its military budget this year to CY 670 billion (USD 106 billion).
Yang said it is a natural requirement for China to raise the military budget to safeguard national security and the increase was in accordance with the level of China`s economic and social development.
There was need to keep the salaries of officers and soldiers in line with the improvement of living standards, he said.
Also military training requires a rise in expenditure of military exercise and college education as well as military infrastructure construction, he said adding that Chinese Army must be equipped with new facilities in the course of military
"China increased its military budget by 11.2 percent in 2012, while the budgets for education, public health, and social security and employment were increased 17.5 percent, 15.4 percent and 16.1 percent respectively," Yang said.
Yang said Chinese military spending only accounted for 1.28 percent of China`s total GDP in 2011, and the budget for 2012 is one sixth of that of the United States.
Yang denied the perception that China does not disclose all its defence expenditure.
"China has no hidden military expenditure," he said.
"Allegations like rapid growth of China`s military spending or speculation that China has a hidden military expenditure is either due to ignorance or ulterior motives," Yang said.
"We hope relevant parties can view China`s military budget in a professional and responsible way."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks