Chinese military denies strategy to encircle India
Beijing: The Chinese military on Monday said the apprehensions that it plans to encircle India with a "string of pearls strategy" by establishing naval bases in the region including Pakistan`s Gwadar Port was "totally groundless".
Commenting for the first time on India`s reservations over China taking over Pakistan`s strategic port in the Arabian Sea, Senior Colonel Geng Yansheng, spokesman of China`s Ministry of National Defence, said Chinese firm`s takeover of the management rights of the Gwadar Port is a commercial project.
It is being taken over under the framework of China-Pakistan economic and trade cooperation, which is not only in the interests of the people of the two countries but also conducive to the regional prosperity and development, he said.
The so-called "string of pearls strategy" is totally groundless, the China Military Online quoted him as saying.
The port, built with Chinese assistance, was being taken over by a Chinese firm at the invitation of Pakistan after a Singapore company pulled out of the 40-year contract to run the port, citing a host of difficulties.
Geng also said Chinese People`s Liberation Army (PLA) has no overseas military base.
He said it is a common practice for naval taskforces of various countries to berth at nearby ports of coastal countries for replenishment during their ocean going voyages.
The Chinese naval escort taskforces have berthed at many ports of coastal countries for replenishment since they carried out escort missions in the Gulf of Aden and the waters off the Somali coast at the end of 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP