Chinese military must be absolutely loyal to the Party: Xi
Beijing: Asking China`s 2.3 million strong army to take its battle readiness to a "new high", the ruling Communist Party`s leader Xi Jinping on Monday demanded absolute loyalty of the military to the Party.
At a plenary meeting of the People`s Liberation Army, (PLA) delegation at the ongoing legislative session, Xi who is also head of China`s military, called on the armed forces to bring the country`s defence and army to new heights.
Xi said soldiers must be absolutely loyal to the Party, and maintain their "purity and reliability".
They should be at full military readiness to ensure victories in any wars, he said.
He asked the armed forces to be "absolutely loyal" to the Party, sharpen fighting capacity and abide by disciplines.
Xi, who had banned the banquets and luxury dinners for military get-togethers, said armed forces must be ruled by law to maintain the good reputation they have earned over the years.
Xi said the forces should uphold frugality and oppose extravagance and waste, so as to make full use of military spending.
Meanwhile the 268 representatives of PLA who took part in the discussion at the National People`s Congress, (NPC) held heated discussions on the subjects of the mission and tasks of the armed forces and construction of military capabilities, official media reported.
"They spoke out their common mind: Bear in mind the key point of being capable of fighting and winning battles, engage in the construction and preparation in accordance with the standards of fighting", state-run Xinhua reported.
They want to ensure that the armed forces will always be ready when called upon, be able to fight on arrival and be capable of winning battles, resolutely safeguard state sovereignty, security and territorial integrity, and protect the peaceful development of the country, it said.
The PLA this year got USD 115.7 billion budget, second highest after United States. The 10.7 percent increase comes at a time the military is rapidly expanding acquiring its first aircraft carrier and new fighter jets in the midst of rising tensions over maritime disputes with Japan and host of South East Asian countries over South China Sea, besides gearing up to face US pivot to Asia-Pacific.
Unlike other militaries, PLA is part of ruling Communist Party not the government and gets chunk of representatives in 3000 strong NPC to represent its interests.
"Being able to fight and win battles is the special ability of the Chinese military," said Mo Junpeng, PLA deputy to the NPC and commander of a base under the Second Artillery Force (SAF) of the PLA.
"Our military construction is currently facing an unprecedented historical opportunity with various rigorous challenges existing at the same time."
"Since the situation is so pressing, it is necessary to build up the armed forces in accordance with the high standards of fighting," he said.
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation - Part II
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks