Chinese military must be absolutely loyal to the Party: Xi
Beijing: Asking China`s 2.3 million strong army to take its battle readiness to a "new high", the ruling Communist Party`s leader Xi Jinping on Monday demanded absolute loyalty of the military to the Party.
At a plenary meeting of the People`s Liberation Army, (PLA) delegation at the ongoing legislative session, Xi who is also head of China`s military, called on the armed forces to bring the country`s defence and army to new heights.
Xi said soldiers must be absolutely loyal to the Party, and maintain their "purity and reliability".
They should be at full military readiness to ensure victories in any wars, he said.
He asked the armed forces to be "absolutely loyal" to the Party, sharpen fighting capacity and abide by disciplines.
Xi, who had banned the banquets and luxury dinners for military get-togethers, said armed forces must be ruled by law to maintain the good reputation they have earned over the years.
Xi said the forces should uphold frugality and oppose extravagance and waste, so as to make full use of military spending.
Meanwhile the 268 representatives of PLA who took part in the discussion at the National People`s Congress, (NPC) held heated discussions on the subjects of the mission and tasks of the armed forces and construction of military capabilities, official media reported.
"They spoke out their common mind: Bear in mind the key point of being capable of fighting and winning battles, engage in the construction and preparation in accordance with the standards of fighting", state-run Xinhua reported.
They want to ensure that the armed forces will always be ready when called upon, be able to fight on arrival and be capable of winning battles, resolutely safeguard state sovereignty, security and territorial integrity, and protect the peaceful development of the country, it said.
The PLA this year got USD 115.7 billion budget, second highest after United States. The 10.7 percent increase comes at a time the military is rapidly expanding acquiring its first aircraft carrier and new fighter jets in the midst of rising tensions over maritime disputes with Japan and host of South East Asian countries over South China Sea, besides gearing up to face US pivot to Asia-Pacific.
Unlike other militaries, PLA is part of ruling Communist Party not the government and gets chunk of representatives in 3000 strong NPC to represent its interests.
"Being able to fight and win battles is the special ability of the Chinese military," said Mo Junpeng, PLA deputy to the NPC and commander of a base under the Second Artillery Force (SAF) of the PLA.
"Our military construction is currently facing an unprecedented historical opportunity with various rigorous challenges existing at the same time."
"Since the situation is so pressing, it is necessary to build up the armed forces in accordance with the high standards of fighting," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi